I often come across with a lot of negative vibe when discussing world affairs or philosophical points. To be fair though, I do feel I try to offer solutions, even if they seem unlikely to ever be used. Here are ten things I think would drastically improve the direction of the United States in a way that would benefit everyone except for those that are doing more harm than good.
It is time for the people to put a few demands on the table for the well-being of all of us. It is time for us to quit following the patterns of behavior we have developed just because “it has always been that way”. I mean, how fucking stupid does a person have to be to sit there and say “I know this doesn’t work but we’ve always done it that way so we shouldn’t change.”
1. Make it illegal for members of Congress to own stocks of any kind.- So right off the bat I have extreme solution number one. Do not give me the song and dance about how they have the right to invest. These men and women are taking oaths to represent the people, then turn on them for financial gain at the expense of the very people who elected them. If you want to be wealthy as far as stocks go, if you want a massive portfolio of investments, go ahead…….but do it outside of Congress. The members of Congress, as well as the presidential choices we’ve had, have become so poor that we have forgotten that they work for us. They are more than compensated with six figure salaries and all their expenses and accommodations(which are usually fairly luxurious). The point is this…..it is time we forcibly restore honor to the position of representation. We do this by making the job of a politician more one of esteem for good deeds than as a conduit to massive wealth. Again, if you want to be super rich, have a massive investment portfolio, go right ahead. But for the good of all of us, you can’t do BOTH that and win a Senate seat. If you want to represent your fellow citizens, help improve your country, make the country’s future and the way it will affect your children a positive thing, then we will happily pay you well over $100,000 dollars along with great insurance, all work expenses paid and a great pension. You just can’t own any stock. This first change alone would have a drastic effect on the general level of accomplishment from our always bickering current Congress because we would have people in it for the nobility of it. Yes, the money would drive some of them still, a six figure salary is a lot of money over a lifetime, but when the decisions they make as far as government contracts, as far as regulation, as far as any kind of federal favoritism, there will be no conflict of interest clouding their decisions. Does that mean all their decisions will be great? Of course not but at least there will not be an obvious financial motivation.
2. Significantly reduce the size of the United States military.- Calm Down! Sorry, that was for all the people who barely read that sentence and assumed I want either the downfall of the United States or for us to get invaded. Get real. The size of our military would be beyond massive even if you cut it in half. Tens of thousands of fighter jets, bombers, transports, tanks, transport trucks and tanks, all manner of land air and sea vehicles. Over 4,000 nuclear bombs…..4,000……..and enough aircraft carriers to conquer the world. Two dozen satellites…most countries have maybe a few at most, none that equal the technological advances of ours. Some people would tell you we need all these things to remain “safe” in the modern world. I would tell you those people are morons. We have so overbuilt our military that it almost seems like we almost have to be at war all the time to avoid having tens of thousands of pieces of equipment just gathering dust. Why? Why do we need a military large enough to easily defeat a force that does not exist? You want to keep a strong military that is fine but 700 billion dollars per year?? Wasteful, unnecessary and money spent on killing that could be instead spent on caring.
3. Start Taking The Integrity Of The Media Seriously.- There is no truth coming from our media sources. Like the corporations getting an unfair advantage, our media sources are owned by the people they do the vast majority of their reporting on. Being a journalist should be a position that is revered for its honesty, its lack of bias. Having a literal army of former party members still financially connected to the parties they are reporting on should be highly irregular, if not illegal. These people, the media sources, have a responsibility to the public to report facts yet the people doing the commentary, all former politicians, do exactly the opposite as they spin every story they can to their parties advantage as if they were still elected officials. This conflict of interest, along with many others, needs to be forcibly stopped by the people. It is time for us to put our feet down and use the power in numbers we have to DEMAND things like this change.
4. Get Religion Out Of The Government- Look, let’s be honest, religion is becoming a less and less serious part of the American way and that is only a problem if you believe the government should enforce religious views. Not everyone believes in God and even if they say they do, they often have different levels of commitment and styles of interpretation of scripture. While religion is an important part of many people’s lives, it is not a proven fact, a unified belief and therefore has no place in the operation of our government. The one thing about religion that no sane person can argue is that everything about it is about belief and with that being true, we cannot write laws to govern such things.Our government is not the Church, they are not there to enforce scripture on the people, many of who do not believe in said scripture. Abortion, Gay Marriage, prayer in school, none of these are issues that are to be solved through laws and government. Instead, it is up to each person to make their own decision and up to the rest of the people to stay out of their lives. It is also up to society to provide environments where a person’s personal beliefs are neither forced or restricted as long as they aren’t harming anyone else. Don’t like what you neighbor thinks about God? Then shutup and don’t worry about it because if you truly believe in what you say you do, it is up to your God to decide their fates.
5.Adjust the priorities of what we are spending tax dollars on- It is truly amazing what we spend our money on as far as taxes and government go in this country. To advance as a nation and as a people, we need to start putting the correct emphasis on what we use our tax dollars for. Spend money on education instead of war. Spend money on infrastructure instead of secret experimentation. We have enough defense to stop an invasion force larger than any on this planet so instead of continuing to build as if we are invaded on a daily basis, instead spend that money on the physical and mental well-being of the people. Recognize logic and instead of being afraid of offending this group or that one, do what common sense dictates. As far as social services go, make sure the money being given out is being used for what it is supposed to. If you are on welfare, unemployment, or any other kind of government entitlement then you are receiving enough help to be open to being drug tested to ensure that the money the rest of the taxpayers are giving you is not being spent so you can get high.
6. Make the intelligence and other agencies in our government more transparent and therefore more accountable.- Agencies like the CIA are out of control. There is no reason that these agencies need either the bloated budgets they have or the leeway to just operate as they see fit. The CIA has been spending your tax dollars on assassinating people, drugging American citizens, financing private wars with dictators that we later hunt down and kill, interfering with and influencing sovereign governments, trafficking drugs, trafficking weapons and any additional number of highly illegal activities. They are breaking the law on a regular basis and the scariest part of it is the acceptance of their behavior by our citizens. It is almost an accepted fact that the CIA had some level of involvement in assassinating JFK, trafficking weapons and drugs to the Mexican drug cartels and any number of horrific actions that would be considered “terrorism” if another agency outside this country did them. If that is the case then why isn’t it terrorism when the CIA does it?
7. Close military bases protecting other countries until we have a balanced budget.- I have no problem with us helping other countries but until we have our own backyard in order, why should our money be protecting others while we struggle? We have built this country fighting our own battles and instead of losing American lives and American tax dollars protecting the borders of other countries, we should instead have those troops and those dollars doing things that will contribute positively to our economy and our own borders…..borders that have illegal immigrants pouring through them along with countless illegal drugs for years(some of them by the CIA, see #6).
8. Put crushing penalties on corporations and companies that send jobs out of the country.- Our jobs need to stay here. You want your company to make money in other countries? Then move there. The days of companies raking in huge profits off our people while paying people in other countries to produce what they are selling needs to end. Our country exists at a higher level than most and if we want to keep it that way, the jobs need to stay here. American products need to be produced by American people if we are going to regain the manufacturing prowess this country used to have. You want to employ Chinese people who you can pay half as much? THEN MOVE TO CHINA AND TAKE YOU COMPANY WITH YOU. Trust me, Americans will find a way to fill the void you leave with American made products by American employees being sold for American prices in the American economy.
9. Make acts of government corruption a one-strike, life imprisonment offense.- It is not possible to “accidentally” rip off the American people and as the citizens, and the OWNERS of this country, we need to demand the highest level of integrity from our leaders. You don’t think that penalty is fair? Then do not run for office because when you do and then you rip the people off, we all suffer so much, so many people are affected that there is no way you should not spend the rest of your life behind bars. There is no argument against this that holds any water and to argue against harsher penalties is to try to make an excuse for people to be doing things they KNOW are wrong. In the old, old days there was a thing called an angry mob and people feared them. Today, the leadership has done everything they can to legislate corruption right into the system and also allow chance after chance for these guys to commit crimes right out in the open and get only a slap on the wrist while regular citizens spend decades in jail for far lesser crimes.
10.SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING ABOUT HOSTESS!!!WE CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT TWINKIES!!!– Sorry I had to put one fun one in there…..:)
Any system, be it a mechanical one, a mathematical one or whatever, if that system is broken then it is impossible to use the very system to fix itself. This is the problem that so many Americans have allowed themselves to be distracted from when considering the current state of our country. We have a broken system of government and all the citizens are arguing about which version of that broken system would be best used to fix the broken system. It is truly an exercise in lunacy if you look at it as it truly is.
Think about it like this. The Republicans and the Democrats have been running this country for countless decades, both of them. Back and forth they have switched control of the top office as well as Congress, but it an indisputable fact that they have been in control for well over a half century. Now knowing that the previous statement is one of absolute truth, the kind of truth that is as obvious as stating that water is wet, why would anyone think that the best people to solve the massive problems facing this country would be the Republicans and the Democrats?? They have been in control for decades and their policies and their solutions have led to these problems so why would they suddenly start working now???
To believe that these people and their beliefs, their solutions, their ideas, would cause problem after problem after problem after problem for decade after decade after decade after decade and then suddenly start working is unbelievably ludicrous!!!!!!!!! I have no better way to put it, no deeper way to enlighten any of you, that is just how it is.
Election after election after election, the people who made these problems, using their principles, keep convincing the general public that the principles that made all these problems and issues, will suddenly do something they have NEVER done before, that is fix the problems. There is no argument that can be made in defense of our current cycle of insanity, it is just so obviously true.
I will go on more about this but why bother? No amount of explanation can make my previous statements any more obvious, and if your argument against this position is saying the left or the right can solve the issues we have, then you need to take a long, hard look at yourself in the mirror. When you support either party, you are supporting ALL the failed policies, ALL the terrible decisions.
The two-party system that has taken over politics in this country is one where the followers of the two major parties basically ignore the fact that whichever party they support, they have been at LEAST half of the problem. The Democrats are one and the Republicans are the other. No matter which way you place the blame, they BOTH have some, and together they have been 100% of the problem in the continued downturn of this country FOR DECADES NOW. The party’s members are virtually all wealthy, all heavily invested in the biggest banks, corporations and insurance companies in the world. The party members, regardless of whether it is the Democrats or Republicans, truly have more of a vested interest in the corporations they are invested in than they do in HELPING YOU, THE VERY PEOPLE THEY REPRESENT. The problems that plague our society remain many of the same ones that are always a problem; healthcare, education, immigration, corporate corruption, abortion, the economy, all of these are the same problems that have been there for decades.
I mean, not one permanent solution? Not one? In what, like 30 years? If we cannot find permanent solutions to even one of the many major issue such as the economy, immigration, social security, Medicare and Medicaid, taxes, foreign policy……things that affect each of us in our daily lives, then is it fair to say that the model of society we have chosen in this country may be failing? Has it begun to become nothing more that a constant back and forth argument that is perpetual in its cycle?
I guess in the end, what I am saying is that there are mass amounts of facts that support the argument that our form of capitalism and representative government is a failure. This has nothing to do with freedom or liberty, other than the fact that the leaders of this country have taken some of yours. It has to do with a system we created proving time and time again that it does not work, plain and simple. Even worse, as it continues to decline, the people you have put in control are getting richer as the lower and middle class struggle. It is so obviously apparent, so illogical in the way the people who are struggling are the ones choosing those that make them struggle, that the only logical reason the struggling people would continue to support these two groups is either mass mental illness, or they are completely and utterly under the control of the most powerful individuals whether they realize it or not. Look in a mirror and tell me which one you are…..
Well according to most media reports, we will be fully “withdrawn” from Iraq by the end of the year, ending an almost decade long occupation. Depending on the source of information there were 4,484 United States casualties. 4,484 mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters and citizens. We were repeatedly told by both our former President, George W. Bush and also our current one, Barack Obama, that we had a legitimate mission there, a mission of freedom and democracy that would change Iraq forever and ensure their personal freedom, but looking at the recent developments there during our withdrawal, one has to wonder whether we carelessly threw away the lives of four thousand Americans for nothing.
Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki is asking for Iraqi lawmakers to withdraw their confidence from his own deputy after the deputy, named Saleh al-Mutlaq, made comments earlier this week over the American withdrawal that have caused controversy. He was quoted as saying “There will be a day whereby the Americans will realize that they were deceived by al-Maliki … and they will regret that”. Al-Malaki’s request for the withdrawal of confidence followed word in the country that Iraqiya, a powerful political bloc in Iraq, will not be participating in the country’s parliament and that move is being seen as a threat to what is already a very fragile sharing of power post-American withdrawal.
Al-Mutlaq has been quoted as saying that America and more specifically, Washington, has left Iraq with a “dictator” who is ignoring a power sharing agreement designed to stop any rekindling of the tensions and bloodshed between Iraq’s Shiite majority and minority Sunni populations.
Another quote from al-Mutlaq, quoted to CNN was “America left Iraq with almost no infrastructure. The political process is going in a very wrong direction, going toward a dictatorship,” he said. “People are not going to accept that, and most likely they are going to ask for the division of the country. And this is going to be a disaster. Dividing the country isn’t going to be smooth, because dividing the country is going to be a war before that and a war after that.”
So basically what we are seeing is the strong possibility that after almost a decade of war that cost the lives of not only over 4,000 Americans, but literally tens of thousands of Iraqi citizens, that Iraq is going to fall right back into THE EXACT SAME SITUATION it was in when Saddam Hussein ruled and oppressed the people, especially the ones who did not share his religious affiliation.
Now I’m sorry for the language but ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME??? After all the death, the suffering, the pain caused to people all over the world, the trillions of dollars spent as our country languishes in debt that threatens our way of life that Iraq is going to be shown, historically speaking, to HAVE BEEN A COMPLETE FUCKING WASTE OF TIME??? The level of outrage that should be coming from both sides of the political fence is beyond measure but I suppose, based on our leaders track record, that they realistically probably could care less and that speaks volumes to how soul-less they truly are.
So now, thanks to our forced intervention on the government of a sovereign nation, an intervention that was never willingly asked for, we have made the Middle East even more volatile, if that is possible. We the people should certainly expect that Iran will continue to interfere and that the interference will almost certainly led to escalated tensions, even worse than they are now, between our country and Iran. It should scare many parents in this country whose children are in the military that any conflict with Iran, a conflict our government almost seems to want, will be far more costly than Iraq ever was, both in the human toll and the financial one. Additionally, countries such as Syria, Russia and even China could be dragged into a situation that, despite whatever propaganda the morally corrupt media fires at us, we are the biggest cause of.
How many people, mostly innocent ones even if they were brought up in a culture that we sometimes do not understand, have to die senselessly before we begin to hold our country and it’s actions to some level of morality? It’s just sickening.
CHECK OUT BELOW THE NUMBER OF U.S MILITARY BASES IN THE MIDDLE EAST AND THEN ASK YOURSELF WHY WE ARE HATED THERE.