I haven’t posted in a while but wanted to explain why I fully and truly believe that casting a vote in tomorrow’s election is not only pointless, but is also a step towards continuing your servitude to a system that is broken, not working, and making everything worse for the average American. I have heard all the reasons to vote and I know this opinion is the minority one, but I hope you will take the time to read this post with an open mind and realize that I am not trying to convince you based on my opinion. Instead I will show you a mountain of evidence that shows, even to the most patriotic American, that not only is our system completely broken, but also doomed to continue to be that way as long as the current path of repair remains the same. Please feel free to comment if you think the facts I provide are not legitimate.
- The dominance in numbers of the two controlling parties will make it nearly impossible for additional parties to ever gain a significant number of representatives any time in the next half century. Using the 2011-2012 numbers, in the United States Senate had 51 Democrats, 47 Republicans and 2 independents. So in over 200 hundred years, and especially the last 20 which has seen an up-rise in the number of third parties seeking election, all of 2 independents have managed to grab Senate seats. They are window dressing, pure and simple. The same thing goes for the House of Representatives where we see 240 Republicans, 197 Democrats and 4 vacant seats. Again, virtually no independent representation. My point is this; at the rate that parties outside the main two are gaining offices, it will literally take hundreds of years to see any of the parties other than the main two have any kind of leverage in our government. The parties in power have written rule after rule to ensure that while small offices may fall to the independents, they are the only offices that will fall. In a twist of pure genius, these few offices, having little chance to force any change, have the effect of placating the voters into thinking they are getting a choice when in fact, the deck is so stacked against them that the only thing they are truly getting is the illusion of their vote counting. I mean, what chance do they have? Their candidates are shut out of national debate by rules written by the very people they are trying to defeat.They have to fight tooth and nail in the court system to even have their candidate as a choice you are allowed to make. I mean, in a truly free election, shouldn’t every candidate be an option for your vote?
- The corporate influence is so strong, and so connected to the current leadership that writes all the election rules, that they have an obvious level of control over who wins. Where to even begin on this one…..let me give you an example…..here is a list of the ten companies that are most heavily invested in by the members of Congress.
- Exxon Mobil– Crushing the country with higher and higher fuel prices and making trillions in doing so. Why would the people in office invested in this company want to do anything to lower their profits or their prices? If they did, the elected official stands to lose money on his or her investment so how is this conflict of interest allowed??
- AT&T– Telecommunications. Invested in by the government officials and therefore controlled by them. Again, if those who vote on decisions to allow a telecommunications company to do this or that are the telecommunications companies shareholders well then of course those shareholders are going to be as lenient and cooperative as they possibly can, even if it violates your civil liberties.
- Wells Fargo–Received bailout money because they were deemed “too big to fail”. Well if the shareholders are members of Congress, and Congress decides whether to give them your money so that those same members of Congress don’t lose money on their stocks, how is that not a huge conflict of interest? In the case of the bailouts, what basically happened was a bunch of stockholders(members of Congress) saw that the companies they have millions of dollars invested in were about to fail, so they then use the law, written by people in their position, to force you to contribute tax dollars, whether you like it or not(you don’t pay, you go to jail under the laws written by previous men in their position) to save the companies and therefore ensure the success of their financial investments. You have become a legally bound financial backer to members of Congress!
- Intel- Massive tech company that has countless government contracts. Those contracts are often approved by committees full of members of Congress who own stock in Intel! So, like AT%T, elected members of Congress slowly integrate these tech and communication into the government through all sorts of military and civilians contracts….contracts they decide on…..and of course they are going to give them to the companies that they own stock in.
- Pfizer– Pharmaceutical company. During a time when healthcare is a huge issue, do you really think the people who own Pfizer stock(many members of Congress) are going to do all they can to lower drug costs when doing so would lower the overall value of their investments in the very same company?
- Cisco-Same situation as Intel, AT&T, and Microsoft. All connected to our military and the operation of our government and when there are contracts, whether they are civilian or military, the members of the government who own these companies stocks are always going to do what makes them more money on their investments. Cisco is also largely intertwined with the news networks as well……news networks that have taken sides and whose rosters are filled with countless former officials still using propaganda to fight for their party of choice.
- Microsoft–I am sick of repeating myself. Look at Intel, Pfizer and Cisco.
- Bank of America-Another bank that made millions and millions acting horribly irresponsibly and when their incompetence looked like it might crush to company, its stockholders(members of Congress) voted to take your money to bail them out, therefore ensuring once again that their stocks value was acceptable to them.
- Procter&Gamble-See my above comments on Pfizer……basically the same situation.
- General Electric– Massive technological company. Integrated into communication, electronics, transportation and a variety of other areas giving the members of our government investment in basically every area of the infrastructure of the country.
Now you need to understand, I realize it may seem as if I am saying the members of Congress should not have the right to invest in companies but I am not. I am only pointing out the fact that a system that allows the situation I just explained to develop is one that is doomed to always benefit the few over the many. Additionally, it almost guarantees that the representatives elected by the people are going to have the interests of companies ahead of the interests of the people when the needs of the people should be, universally, always the top priority.
Conflict of interest is allowed in very few arenas, be it business, school, any organization of any type. If that is true, why would we allow such a thing in our government, something that forcibly affects us every single day? Pete Rose was one of the greatest baseball players of all time, has more hits than any man…ever…..yet he has been banished for life from baseball for betting on games when he was the team’s manager. He wasn’t trying to lose games, he was betting on his team to win. The reason this type of gambling is not allowed is because the bettor has inside influence on a competition that is supposed to be based on competition……ITS A CONFLICT OF INTEREST! If we wouldn’t allow that type of stuff in our professional sports leagues……leagues there to entertain us, nothing more, but we allow it in our government? Congress being invested in companies they are financially helping with your tax dollars as though you and the government is their own personal investment portfolio is not only a serious conflict of interest, but it is wholly immoral and possibly criminal. This behavior is the normal thing in our Congress, this is not just a few bad apples we are talking about, and with the moral fabric and motivations of these people being so poor, what hope does our system have of not getting worse and worse? I do not see how a person could categorize this whole scenario any other way.
You see, I am often labeled as defeatist but what is defeatist about the preceding information? It is nothing but a raw and truthful look at the truth of the government we live under and it is getting worse. When I say that all the third-party supporters say “only voting them out will change things” but that is not true. Am I to believe if by some act of God massive amounts of Libertarians and other third parties won a majority of the congressional seats there would suddenly be no more corporate influence? Or corruption? Of course there would be and that is because these positions attract only the wealthy and the powerful and ultimate power always corrupts ultimately.
Until we have a system of government that truly tries to represent the people, a system that is full of people more intense about spreading good than they are about gaining wealth, none of the elections will change a single thing. They will continue to placate those among us who have no independent train of thought as long as we have our treasures and material baubles to distract the majority of what has become an apathetic, pathetic, brainwashed society. Unfortunately, those at the top cannot bleed this country forever. There will come a point where it collapses under the weight of its own debt, its own ineptitude, and when it does the United States will be a shadow of what it once was and once could have been.
Human nature has already doomed the system. What hope does a society have that cares more about movie stars than teachers? About professional athletes than firemen?
Gary Johnson, a man with a better track record of success than either of the main candidates, got 1% of the vote. One percent…..pathetic…..don’t you people see that they(the people really pulling the strings) will never let your candidates outside of the main two parties have a fair shot??
Sigh……..we just don’t get it……..